Almond Pizzelles are a light, crispy cookie perfect as a part of a desert or just on their own. This recipe is easy to cook with an electric pizzelle press and makes approximately 15 pizzelles.
Pizzelles originally are from Central Italy and is considered to be one of the oldest cookie recipes dating back to the 9th century. Originally cooked on heated cast iron presses to produce the unique shapes we know. Today you can easily get electric presses with a variety of designs.
This recipe for Almond Pizzelles has been refined and produces crispy almond pizzelles that can be molded into ice cream cones or into a cup shape to hold ice cream just off the press or enjoyed as a flat cookie.
About the ingredients:
- Eggs & egg whites – This recipe has 1 egg yolk and 3 egg whites. The egg whites give the cookie the crispy, melt in your mouth texture. It also makes a sensitive cooking time so, they do burn easily.
- Butter – helps in the cooking and flavor
- Flour – We used King Arthur’s All Purpose Flour and recommend this for most of our baking recipes using All Purpose Flour
- Sugar – A good cane sugar give flavor and adds to the crispy texture.
- Almond Extract – Follow the measurement as Almond can be strong in the flavor.
- Baking Powder – Acts as leavening
A few tips for making great Pizzelles!
- These Almond Pizzelles can burn easily so when they are barely starting to golden, they are done.
- The batter may absorb flavoring, it took a few tries for us to get the amount of Almond right but you may want a bit less. We have found this to be just right but not too much.
- If you shape them do so very quickly after taking them off the press as they cool to crispy very quickly.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar for extra sweet when serving.